Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sometimes Friends Come From the Most Unexpected Places

http://www.friendship-by-mail.com/elaines-inspirational-encouraging-cards-and-letters-made-a-difference-in-dianes-life.html

Written in 2008:

Elaine's Inspirational, Encouraging Cards and Letters...
Made a Difference in Diane's Life!
by Diane Foresee
(Montgomery, Alabama)

After I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2001, my sister gave my name to many of her friends and acquaintances and asked them to pray for me.

One of those friends, Elaine, was a retired school teacher whom she had previously worked with. I can't remember exactly when I started receiving letters and notes from Elaine.

Throughout my ordeal with battling cancer off and on over the last seven years, she has sent 2-3 encouraging notes to me every week. Some were one-liners reminding me that I was loved and some were longer, but they were all filled with encouragement and positive thoughts.

Eventually, as I got better, I began writing back. We have developed a genuine and sincere friendship over the years and now exchange letters, cards, birthday and Christmas gifts, and unexpected little surprises.

I have never seen a picture of her and have never heard her voice, but I would recognize her loopy and happy handwriting anywhere and consider her one of my best friends in the world.

I have been so awed by the positive effect her kindness has had on my health and how meaningful what she passes off as "no big deal" has been to me. She has inspired me to resolve to do "little" things every chance I get to encourage others in all types of situations.

After all, Elaine has taught me without realizing it that there are really no such things as "little things," for the smallest acts of encouragement and kindness are "huge" to the recipient.

I now have an incurable form of breast cancer and am sometimes discouraged by the fact that I see things I want to do, but just can't do them anymore. But one thing I "can" do is pass on Elaine's tradition of encouraging through handwritten notes, and I am doing that every chance I get.


WENDY'S TWO CENTS: Beautiful story... letters from stranger, no photos, is just what pals are all about.. sharing and caring through life together! Thanks so much for sharing this, Diane!

Click here to read or post comments.

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How?
Simply click here to return to My Special Pen Friend.


Share this page:

No comments: