Thursday, September 17, 2009

Twilight

I always have been a sucker for a good love story, and one of the best I have read is the Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyers. I never imagined that I, a mature middle aged woman, would or even "could" enjoy a story about vampires and werewolves. That is normally not even close to my style. However, the real story is the love that Edward has for Bella. How can anyone resist a young man who is polite, compassionate, respectful, has old fashioned ideals and manners, is morally good, and on top of all of that, doesn't look bad either? Even more, how can anyone resist a young man who loves his soulmate so passionately that his desire to protect her in every situation, at all times, completely outrules his own strong physical desires? What girl wouldn't be mesmerised by one who not only declares, but also proves time and again, that he would die for her without a second thought if need be? Without a doubt, Edward is everything that every girl wants, all wrapped up in one package. Bella, the apple of Edward's eye, is an ordinary teenage girl ... until you look at her through Edward's eyes. His utter and unabashed adoration of her changes everything, except the way she sees herself. Even as the object of his worship, she remains completely humble throughout the story. Once I started reading, I found it almost impossible to put the books down. The characters were fascinating and the plot had so many imaginative twists and turns that you could almost get emotional whiplash just reading it. But I think it was the author's writing style above all else that kept me glued to the pages. Her writing is easy to read and so smooth that the chapters and even the books just flow from one right into the next as if there is no division.

I understand that she has written another book, The Host, which is rumored to be equally as enthralling as Twilight. There is a part of me that wants to rush right out and find that book. Then there is another part of me that is not ready to give up Edward and Bella just yet. They became so real to me as I read their story that by the time I finished reading it almost felt as if they were actual people I know. I find myself thinking about them and imagining what a future book could hold, and I'm not sure my mind is finished with their story yet. Then there is a part of me that is shocked by how much control the books took over my life; all I wanted to do was read, read, and read some more. I didn't exactly feel comfortable with anything becoming that influential over me, and I hate to get into that again with another of her stories.

So what do you think? Will I read The Host? Or maybe a more appropriate question would be ... How long will I wait before I read The Host?

No comments: